This video below is an ingenious way to remove a live tick that has embedded itself. Tick removal can be tricky, since ticks are often so burrowed in that just pulling on the tick will result in leaving the head in the skin when the body snaps off.
Tick Removal with Cotton Swab
In addition to the infamous Lyme Disease that is spread by ticks to campers, hikers and hunters each year, there are also numerous other bacterial infections that ticks can inflict. Early tick removal is very important, but what is even more important is tick prevention. Here are some tips to help keep you healthy.
- Tape up your ankles, wrists and tuck/tape shirts to keep ticks from crawling in.
- Use high strength tick spray
- Check yourself in the shower as soon as you return home
- Use a fine tooth comb on your hair when checking
I was bitten twice last year and had two Lyme Disease tests done, including tests for other infections. Nothing showed on the tests. Nonetheless, I later broke out in hives. The doctor was stumped. After a 21 day regimen of antibiotics, the hives vanished.
Lyme disease is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi and is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected blacklegged ticks. Typical symptoms include fever, headache, fatigue, and a characteristic skin rash called erythema migrans. If left untreated, infection can spread to joints, the heart, and the nervous system. Lyme disease is diagnosed based on symptoms, physical findings (e.g., rash), and the possibility of exposure to infected ticks. (source: CDC)
- Wear light colored clothing, long sleeves and pants, tuck pants into socks. Long loose hair should be covered, braided or tied when venturing into areas where ticks are apt to be. Spray your clothing, etc.
- When coming in from outside activities where you might have encountered ticks, throw clothing into the dryer set on high heat. This will ensure no ticks survive on your clothing. Remember to do a tick check, take a shower and wash your hair.
- Keep pets that have outside exposure off furniture especially bedding.
- Make certain that you have very fine pointed tweezers available.
Source: Stop Ticks On People